Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Homophobia: A Rant

WARNING: Because of the emotional nature of this blog, I ended up using some pretty colorful language. If you think you might be offended, please skip past this blog. If not, read on and please excuse my sailor-talk. Words are just not strong enough for my feelings about this subject.

I've discovered something about myself and how I think of other people in these past couple years. First of all I've become much more liberal (hard to believe, I know) and a lot of my beliefs have become much more solidified. The one thing that gets me into a rage like no other these days is homophobia. My friend just received an email from his aunt with this link in it. This is the same aunt (actually that whole side of his family) who uninvited him to last Christmas at their place because they discovered he was bringing his boyfriend who was visiting. Not only did they un-invite him to Christmas but now she has the gall to send him a link to NoGayMarriage.com?!?!?! How insensitive can you get? My friend throws it off with a laugh, but it's hard for me to take it so lightly. In fact, it makes me want to cry and scream and tear out my hair by the sheer stupidity of thinking this way. Many of the arguments against gay marriage made on this website don't have anything to do with homosexuality at all!!! Take this one for example:

Argument #2
The introduction of legalized gay marriages will lead inexorably to polygamy and other alternatives to one-man, one-woman unions.

In Utah, polygamist Tom Green, who claims five wives, is citing Lawrence v. Texas as the legal authority for his appeal. This past January, a Salt Lake City civil rights attorney filed a federal lawsuit on behalf of another couple wanting to engage in legal polygamy. Their justification? Lawrence v. Texas.

The ACLU of Utah has actually suggested that the state will "have to step up to prove that a polygamous relationship is detrimental to society"-as opposed to the polygamists having to prove that plural marriage is not harmful to the culture. Do you see how the game is played? Despite 5,000 years of history, the burden now rests on you and me to prove that polygamy is unhealthy. The ACLU went on to say that the nuclear family "may not be necessarily the best model." Indeed, Justice Antonin Scalia warned of this likelihood in his statement for the minority in the Lawrence case.10 It took less than six months for his prediction to become reality.


Uh... last time I checked polygamy and homosexuality were two totally separate issues that have nothing to do with each other. What the hell does having multiple wives have to do with being in a committed and loving relationship with the person you choose, be it of the same or opposite sex? Besides, Mormons were the only ones who practiced polygamy and even today that's not true anymore. Most Mormons disassociate themselves with those sects of "Mormonism" who do practice polygamy and there are extremely few who do.

People who think this way make me want to puke. It's sad really and maybe I should take the pacifist side of this and feel sorry for them, but I don't. How can you hate someone so much just because of who they love? The friend I speak of is one of the most wonderful people I've ever met in my entire life and I love him very, very much. It's incomprehensible to me that his own FAMILY would insult and hurt him so much. That's NOT what family does and it's a disgrace. His aunt is a bigoted, ignorant cunt. Period. If she can't love him and accept him for the incredible and beautiful person he is then she is truly missing out and can rot in her own hell for all I care. Maybe I should be compassionate. Fighting fire with fire is never a good idea and doesn't make anything better. But when someone hurts and insults someone I love, watch the fuck out. It throws me into such a fiery rage I can barely control myself. Especially because they're doing it in the name of Christianity! The base of which is love and compassion and understanding -- at least it USED to be.... What people have done to religion these days is really fucking sad. Hating in the name of religion is an oxymoron. One that gets used way too often.

*deep breath.....in..... out.....*


Ok. I'm a little better now. I'm sorry I can't be as articulate as I would like to be about this but it's one of my non-negotiable topics. To me it's no different than hating someone because they're black or hispanic or asian or blue or purple. It's the same thing. And to tell you the truth, it almost makes me NOT want to get married for the sole principal that if my best friend can't get married then, fuck it, neither will I until that changes. Hopefully, he'll move to Canada and they can get married there and live happily without all the bullshit homophobia that is a large part of America and still controls the laws. It's another reason I would love to move to Canada and even become a Canadian citizen. I mean for fuck's sake, Spain just passed the gay-marriage law!!!!! Spain! A traditionally roman-catholic country! Our NOT passing this law is an embarrassment. We preach human rights and equal opportunity and open-mindedness... how much more hypocritical can we get?

Anyway, those are my thoughts and again I apologize for the crude language. It's hard to express rage and anger without swearing.... especially since I've been in Japan and my ability to pull out sophisticated English is nearing zero.

No comments: