Thursday, March 15, 2007

In need of a break!!

And I bet you're all wondering: "From what? You don't do ANYTHING all day... why in the world do you need a break?"

Well.... not doing anything can actually be really tiring, as lame as that sounds. I need a break from doing nothing so that I can actually do something.... quite the opposite of most cases. Adam and I and a couple friends (Josy and her bloke, Marc, from England, and Kendra from New Zealand) are heading to Singapore tomorrow and then to Malaysian Borneo (state of Sabah) on Sunday morning. We're going on vacation not to relax, but to stimulate ourselves so we don't go completely batshit crazy in the next month to come. And, well honestly, do we REALLY need an excuse to take a vacation??? I think not! Plus, who wouldn't want to pounce on the opportunity to go to one of the most beautiful places in the world, trek through the jungle, snorkel and lay in the sun, and play with orangutans?

Anyway, while we're in Singapore I hope to find a really good deal on a video camera so that we can actually film our time there instead of just taking pics. Pictures are nice, but a video would be so much better. No worries, I'll have my camera as well. One of these days I need to get a new one, though. Since receiving it for Christmas in '03, it's seen its fair share of use and abuse and is getting a little crotchety (me dropping it at regular intervals probably didn't help either... oops!).


This past week, Aaron and Helen came back to Japan for their spring break so it was really cool to see them again! I don't think I realized how much I missed Aaron until he got here. Then it was like we'd never been apart. I don't think I've laughed that hard in a really long time... actually I take that back. Christmas wasn't so far long ago, which was the last time I saw him and we talked and talked and talked and laughed until I almost peed my pants. Unfortunately, we didn't have much time to spend with either of them so that really sucks, but at least we got to see them!

So, I'm sitting at work without an ounce of inspiration to write beyond the feeling of obligation to keep this thing going and keep everyone in the loop. Not that I mind keeping people up-to-date with what's going on with me, but there really hasn't been much of anything besides the humdrum of life to write about. Sorry to be so honest, but hopefully after we come back I'll have plenty to write about and will be sure to post pics! I've now brought my headphones to work so I can listen to music via YouTube and Google videos.... I've also spent a couple hours today watching and listening to interviews by Barack Obama. After having read his book and now seeing the interviews with him, I'm even more convinced that he would be an excellent president. He's articulate, very intelligent, open-minded, realistic and most importantly: he's REAL! He's human. He's not a puppet or someone put into power by his daddy or his daddy's money. He speaks more than one language (having lived in Indonesia as a child and learning their language: Bahasa I'm pretty sure), and he's lived in a different country. Not only a different country, but a predominantly Muslim country. He went to both Muslim and Christian schools while he was there as well. I think this is really important if we're to improve our image abroad. I think it's also important because he'd have an easier time empathizing with other countries. Anyway, bottom line is: Barack kicks ass and if he becomes president it would do a world of good for our country, its people and its reputation. Oh and I agree with a lot of his perspectives... he's pro-choice, supports gay marriage and doesn't believe that he should be forcing his religious values on others (hooray!) -- that's not what a secular president (or any other politician) is supposed to do.

Anyway, I'm signing out now. Will be posting later with pictures from Borneo!!!!

No comments: